Tuesday, July 9, 2013

"Under the Stars"

On an unspecified planet (Alderaan maybe?), sometime after the agent's story ends.
_____________________

 “What are we doing out here again?”

 “Shh. We’re watching the stars, remember?”

 “Sir, we live in a spaceship. We see stars all the time.”

 “Well, yes, but these ones are special.”

 “And what makes them special, sir?”

 “Raina. You’re ‘sirring’ me again.”

 “Sorry. Habit.”

 “These stars are special because I’m looking at them with my wife.”

 “… you do know when to say just the right thing, don’t you.”

 “Talent, my love. Comes with the whole agent thing.”

 * * * *

 “Arvallon, shouldn’t we be getting back inside? It’s very late.”

 “In a while. I’m terribly comfy here.”

 “It’s starting to get cold, sir.”

 “Well then, cuddle up here and I’ll keep you warm. Besides, I think my leg’s fallen asleep.”

 “That’s a rather lame excuse, sir.”

 “Sirring again. Raina, did you just make a joke?”

 “I… I might have, sir.”

 * * * *

 Light spilled out onto the grass as the Phantom’s hatch opened, the ramp lowering with a hiss. Vector looked around everywhere as he left the ship, but saw no sign of his errant crewmates. “Agent? Ensign?” His forehead creased in concern, then he spotted something and went to investigate. He found Arvallon sprawled on his back in the grass, with Temple nestled against his side, her head pillowed on his arm. Both were sound asleep.

 Vector stood looking at them in indecision for a minute, then went back to the ship, returning shortly with a blanket. He draped it over them, covering them both without waking them up. Satisfied, he left them to their rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment